Monday, February 15, 2010

It's that time again...

The Winter Olympics have arrived-it carries the excitement and hope that our country to bring home the gold.

With the Winter Olympics making it's debut I can't help but be in another frame of mind. Sadness. It was eighteen years ago when my family and I watched opening day of the Winter Olympics in 1992. Both my grandma and grandpa lived with my family at this time. My sister and I were still quite young and they were there for us so our parents could work and not have to worry about us.

This cold February day in 1992 was also one of those pivotal moments in my life. My grandpa had been sick for a while and died in the shower that afternoon. As a five year old, I didn't truly understand what had happened- but I knew that I would not be seeing him anymore. I still wonder how I can miss him as much as I do considering I only had five years with him and eighteen without him.

Eighteen years later...I visited my mom's house this Friday also on a cold February day and was greeted by her and my stepfather watching the opening program of the Winter Olympics. I knew the connection between these games and my mothers emotions. It's funny how those little moments or memories make their way into your life a time when you need it. My birthday was this Saturday and it was almost like a little reminder that he was still here. We should all remember those little moments in time when you can just sit back and feel a much needed connection.

2 comments:

  1. So far the winter olympics have been great. Although, i was upset when the russian figure skater was jealous he got silver instead of gold last week. He was basically mad because he did a quadruple jump and the US skater didn't. He thought he should have won gold because he had a "harder" routine, when realistically he didn't. haterz!!! haha. US rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remebered when my mother had died do to medication defects. I was only five years old, I remember them trnsfering her body from the hospital to the morgue. My granmther and grandfather were all I had left. Seeing how the family took the news, I knew that she would never be forgooten. Sometimes hearing her laughter running through the halls.

    ReplyDelete